“Marks of Discipleship Pt. 1”
disciple (mathetes) = a learner, i.e. pupil
True disciples strive to learn from Jesus and act like Him.
(see John 8:31)
1 John 2:9-11 NKJV He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now. 10 He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him. 11 But he who hates his brother is in darkness and walks in darkness, and does not know where he is going, because the darkness has blinded his eyes.
Things relatives have in common:
- Similar characteristics
- Genuine compassion
- Heartfelt love
1 John 2:9 NKJV He who says he is in the light, and hates his brother, is in darkness until now.
hate (miseo) = to detest, by extension, to love less
What might our "hatred" look like?
- A refusal to associate with them.
- A refusal to celebrate with them.
- A refusal to invest in them.
- A refusal to reconcile with them.
These all fly in the face of Jesus' new commandment found in John 13:34-35.
John 13:34-35 NKJV "A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. 35 By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."
1 John 2:10 NKJV He who loves his brother abides in the light, and there is no cause for stumbling in him.
stumbling (skandalon) = scandal, morally wrong behavior that is exposed
- Hatred doesn't lead to nowhere, it leads to nowhere good!
- When we are consumed with hate we will be controlled by hate!
- Hatred not only shuts out the light from us, it sucks the life from us!
- Love will light the way to healthy and helpful relationships with others!
This message has an accompanying Breakout Group lesson: