“Better Than Normal”
Thoughts On Reopening:
- We are not reopening as an act of defiance.
- We are not reopening haphazardly.
- We are not reopening to be first.
- We are not reopening because we are broke.
- We are reopening with heavy hearts.
- We are reopening because freedom unused becomes freedom abused!
- We are reopening because people need Hope!
- We are reopening because we have a bigger problem than a virus!
1. Christians damage their souls through consumerism.
Luke 12:15-21 NKJVAnd He said to them, "Take heed and beware of covetousness, for one's life does not consist in the abundance of the things he possesses." 16 Then He spoke a parable to them, saying: "The ground of a certain rich man yielded plentifully. 17 And he thought within himself, saying, 'What shall I do, since I have no room to store my crops?' 18 So he said, 'I will do this: I will pull down my barns and build greater, and there I will store all my crops and my goods. 19 And I will say to my soul, "Soul, you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat, drink, and be merry." ' 20 But God said to him, 'Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?' 21 So is he who lays up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God."
2. Christians damage their souls through conformity.
Matthew 10:34-39 NKJV"Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. 35 For I have come to 'set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law'; 36 and 'a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.' 37 He who loves father or mother more than Me is not worthy of Me. And he who loves son or daughter more than Me is not worthy of Me. 38 And he who does not take his cross and follow after Me is not worthy of Me. 39 He who finds his life will lose it, and he who loses his life for My sake will find it"
- Our devotion to Jesus should be obvious to others.
- Our devotion to Jesus should look odd to others.
3. Christians damage their souls through carelessness.
Hebrews 10:23-25 NKJVLet us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful. 24 And let us consider one another in order to stir up love and good works, 25 not forsaking the assembling of ourselves together, as is the manner of some, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you see the Day approaching.
4. Non-Christians lose their souls through consent.
Mark 8:34-38 NKJVWhen He had called the people to Himself, with His disciples also, He said to them, "Whoever desires to come after Me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow Me. 35 For whoever desires to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for My sake and the gospel's will save it. 36 For what will it profit a man if he gains the whole world, and loses his own soul? 37 Or what will a man give in exchange for his soul? 38 For whoever is ashamed of Me and My words in this adulterous and sinful generation, of him the Son of Man also will be ashamed when He comes in the glory of His Father with the holy angels."
Is having your way now really worth the eternal consequences?
The Non-Christian's soul is lost, but can be saved.
Do we really want to return to our normal lives, if by normal we really mean nominal?