“Names of God #4: YAHWEH / JEHOVAH”
<< Names of God Review ≶>
- Elohim, translated God, is the Creator and Covenant Keeper.
- Adonai, translated Lord, is the One who Cares and Commissions.
- El-Shaddai, translated God Almighty, is the One who makes us Fruitful and Blesses us.
Jeremiah 9:23-24 NKJVThus says the Lord: "Let not the wise man glory in his wisdom, Let not the mighty man glory in his might, Nor let the rich man glory in his riches; 24 But let him who glories glory in this, That he understands and knows Me, That I am the Lord, exercising lovingkindness, judgment, and righteousness in the earth. For in these I delight," says the Lord.
- In Hebrew it is YHWH, a Tetragrammaton, the literal pronunciation is Yahweh.
- Jehovah is a combination of the vowels of Adonai and the consonants YHWH.
- Out of fear they would blaspheme His name Jews refuse to speak it. (See Leviticus 24:16)
- It is the Jewish national name of God.
- It comes from the root word "hayah" (haw-yaw), which means "to be" or "being".
- "Hayah" is akin to "chavah" which means "to live" or "life".
- It is most often translated LORD (all caps) in most English translations.
- It is always a reference to the One true God and never to false gods.
1. God (Yahweh/Jehovah) is the One who is eternal and self-existing.
Exodus 3:12-15 NKJVSo He said, "I will certainly be with you. And this shall be a sign to you that I have sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you shall serve God on this mountain." 13 Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, 'The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, 'What is His name?' what shall I say to them?" 14 And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.' " 15 Moreover God said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'The Lord God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.'
Yahweh is the one who in Himself possesses life, permanent existence.
- He lives apart from us. (We are not essential to His existence.)
- We cannot live apart from Him. (He is essential to our existence.)
2. God (Yahweh/Jehovah) is the One who redeems.
Exodus 6:1-7 NKJVThen the Lord said to Moses, "Now you shall see what I will do to Pharaoh. For with a strong hand he will let them go, and with a strong hand he will drive them out of his land." 2 And God spoke to Moses and said to him: "I am the Lord. 3 I appeared to Abraham, to Isaac, and to Jacob, as God Almighty, but by My name Lord I was not known to them. 4 I have also established My covenant with them, to give them the land of Canaan, the land of their pilgrimage, in which they were strangers. 5 And I have also heard the groaning of the children of Israel whom the Egyptians keep in bondage, and I have remembered My covenant. 6 Therefore say to the children of Israel: 'I am the Lord; I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians, I will rescue you from their bondage, and I will redeem you with an outstretched arm and with great judgments. 7 I will take you as My people, and I will be your God. Then you shall know that I am the Lord your God who brings you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians.
3. God (Yahweh/Jehovah) is the One who is righteous.
Psalm 11:7 NKJVFor the Lord is righteous, He loves righteousness; His countenance beholds the upright.
Yahweh loves according to the righteousness, love and devotion of His people.
Deuteronomy 6:4-5 NKJV"Hear, O Israel: The Lord our God, the Lord is one! 5 You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength.
1 Samuel 12:13-15 NKJV"Now therefore, here is the king whom you have chosen and whom you have desired. And take note, the Lord has set a king over you. 14 If you fear the Lord and serve Him and obey His voice, and do not rebel against the commandment of the Lord, then both you and the king who reigns over you will continue following the Lord your God. 15 However, if you do not obey the voice of the Lord, but rebel against the commandment of the Lord, then the hand of the Lord will be against you, as it was against your fathers.
God's eternality ensures He is always present and will always keep His promises.